Friday, December 19, 2014

Do you Believe?

I grew up not believing in Santa Claus. I understood the story. I understood other kids believed there was a Santa Claus, and it was ok for them. I never ruined it for another child. However, my parents choose to tell us "the truth" from the beginning. We had amazing and magical Christmases. I would change nothing about my experiences growing up. We learned about the love of God. The importance of loving our neighbors, helping those in need and giving generously were lessons imprinted on our hearts. The memory of my mom working feverishly into the night; hold up in the kitchen, doorway covered with a sheet to avoid peeping eyes, warms my soul to this day.

Fast forward to college. I fall in love with a man who at 19 proudly proclaimed he absolutely believes in Santa Claus. I was baffled. Is he joking? Crazy? Trapped in his adolescence? Should I flee now? I ultimately decided to ignor this weird quirk and move forward with our relationship. It came up here and there over the next 10 years, but without much discussion. When we were expecting our own child we needed to figure out a plan for handling Santa. I had concerns about lying to my kids. Among other issues, I just felt like it would be easiest for me to do what my family did. On the other hand, I found it is extremely difficult to tell a 29 year old who still believes in Santa, "Sorry dude, not doing that with our kids." So, I got on board, and now, at 32, I realize, I believe in Santa. Maybe you can too.

St. Nicholas, the historical figure, was moved by God to help people in need with anonymous gifts. If he was confronted as being the giver, he would simply tell people to thank God. The gifts were a show of his love of God and represented God's love of all people. Saint Nicolas's name ultimately became Santa Claus.

Christmas time is a time where most people give a little more, care a little more, and love a little more. People give to charities and food banks more generously. People go to church more and give money to support the church and its ministries. God's love is brought into society more so than any other time of year. Even for those who are not religious, the principles of loving your nieghbor, generosity and hope are practiced in ways they are not during the rest of the year.  It's the time of year for miracles.  I remember a few years ago, a community pulled together to replace everything a family lost in a fire.  They received clothes, decorations, gifts all in just a couple of days.  In time for Christmas, and well before their insurance could help. Stories of money being stolen from charitable organizations and being raised again in just a couple of days.  People get lost items returned to them. Families somehow make it to see each other despite traveling obstacles. These miracles are performed by regular people.  People like me and you; the lady next to me at church; the kind man at the toy store. Everywhere I look, I see St Nicholas. This man who found a way to spread God's love and kindness not just to people he interacted with, but to thousands of people hundreds of years after he physically walked the earth. How could I not believe in Santa when he is alive in so many ways?  His spirit carries on his mission year after year.

This morning, I saw a news story about an organization in Pittsburgh, Sisters helping sisters, which uses the Toys for Tots organization to give gifts to 500 local at-risk kids in our area. This year, due to some paper work issue, they found out yesterday they would not be receiving any toys his year.  They are holding a toy drive with 2 drop offs. One today and one tomorrow morning at 10:00 AM in order to gather the toys they need to give the 500 kids this week.  I know, I believe, they will get the toys they need.  I believe it because I know Santa Claus lives in those of us who will open our hearts.  I know there are plenty of Santas who will be dropping of toys to make sure those kids are not disappointed.  I believe.

When the time comes, my boys will realize that Santa is real. Maybe not in the cute ways we talk about in the stories and Christmas specials.  Those stories which teach kids about the spirit of Christmas in a way they can understand and relate to. They will have great memories of Christmas, and the excitement of a child in their hearts forever.  I believe.

I believe.


If you want more information about the Sisters helping sisters story check out this link.

If you are in the Beaver County Area, and you are reading this Tonight (Friday December, 19 2014), and have new toys you would like to donate, let me know and I would be happy to pick them up and deliver them with mine tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment